Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

Poem for Tasha

This is different.

You see, when I wrote and published my first posts on this blog, nobody really read them. (Granted, you could say that we're still close to telling the truth in saying that nobody reads these things.) This was before I would be occasionally found by North Americans and people of other English-speaking countries, and now what seems to be a regular readership in a few European countries and Asian countries that I'm sorry to say I had never heard of before. (Welcome, Brunei! From the little that I've learned of your country since then, I think that you're an awesome people.)

I bring this up because of one of the first posts I wrote on here and took seriously. Well, two posts - "Farewell to a Friend" and "To Tasha, in Memoriam." They were both written in relation to the final days of the life of one of my best friends on the Earth, a certain yellow Labradour retriever named Tasha. When I wrote about her passing, that was in large part for my own good. Some of the remarks I made were intended for others to read and benefit, but to be entirely honest I didn't think that many people would ever stumble across this blog of mine. I figured that my thoughts would be safe in the blanket of obscurity.

That's what makes today a little different. Today marks exactly one year since my friend Tasha left this life. And here you are, listening to me talk about it.


I think I can simplify my thoughts and feelings on that, though; if you read the posts that I wrote last year, little has changed. And as you will probably be able to judge for yourself by reading those, the lack of change in my perception is a good thing. So, feel free to go and read those. (Here and here.)

Today I would just like to share something else that I wrote during the final day of my canine friend's life. I think I actually wrote most of it while I was sitting on the floor with her, her head resting on my leg. This is a commemoration of her life; while talking about the state she was in at the end of it all, I remembered how it was that she got to be that way.

There might be a good title for this, but when I scrawled this out I only labelled it "Poem for Tasha."
(I hope you like it, Tash. Be good, eh.)

***

Peaceful eyes
Troubled breath
Sleeping gasps that hesitate,
Pleasant dream afforded pause
...These betray each other

Tired legs,
These lifelines droop
Paws that tread
O'er a path of years
Eternally unshod,
Founts of blood
For granted succor

Yellow fur
Bleached and blasted
From summer's fire
To brumal chill
'Neath soothing hand
And sticks and stones
Soon that coat shall shed
And remain off

"Dog-eared"
Appropriate.
Soft wedges, keen
Once turned sharp
Elaborated joy
Now groan with strain
And seep with tears

Weary tail
A river rudder
A charming smile
Explorer's ballast
Now droops
Fatigue pins its place

Silenced voice
The mighty surge
Protective cry
Animated shout
Gleeful cheer
Next forlorn sigh
And even this will quiet

Warm heartbeat
Her athlete's pump
Her centred soul
What made her friend
And comfort present
Soon the tempo slows
Soon will it be undone

Yet eager soul
That laughing light
Such loving fire
Still goes on
Unextinguished
'Til next we meet
Forever runs
And still remains
This heartward dog

- TAB III, written May 17th, 2012 12:40 PM

Photo taken on September 16th, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment