Translate

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Not-So-Small Talk

There’s an unfortunate meme that I’ve seen become unfortunately popular as of late. It typically goes something like this:

Don't even get me started on the grammatical errors.
I see you don't know how to use an apostrophe, eh?

Oh, is that so? Well, there’s a very specific swear word I think most people would write here, if they were the ones saying what I’m about to say. I won’t use it. How about instead I go with...

Horsefeathers.

Or maybe a line from our good friend, William Shakespeare: “As you like this, give me the lie another time.” (I’m told that’s from The Tempest. Don’t worry; there’s not an exam on this. I just thought you might like to know, and I might like the reference so I can go read it someday.)
Or there’s one of my favourites, which I use with all due respect to President Dieter F. Uchtdorf:

If you'd like, you can see the full talk this comes from. Just click here.

Yes, I don’t think I can put it any better than that: Don’t lie. Stop it.

Prove Me Now Herewith


Do you really expect me to believe that meme? Am I honestly supposed to believe that the people who post and re-post it are primarily concerned with “atoms, death, aliens, sex, intellect, the meaning of life, faraway galaxies, music that makes you feel (sic) different, memories (sic) the lies you’ve told, your flaws, your favorite scents, your childhood, what keeps you up at night, your insecurities and fears?” Or that... well, one section at a time. I’ll be back to argue with the last couple sentences too. But all in due time.




Seriously, though, am I supposed to believe this? That this is what people want to talk about? They don’t care more about, oh, I don’t know, news stories that are fed to them, or cute animal videos, or liking their friends’ selfies, or repeating a meme that’s being passed around, or agreeing with whomever has posted up a new angry rant about government policy or something?

Don't mind this interruption in the margin, eh?
I just felt this was appropriate for this moment.
- Illustration and poem by Shel Silverstein
Fine. In that case, I’ll give you a one-sentence summary of my dominant thoughts on each of these things that are apparently more important to people: Atoms are fascinating in how they work, and it’s even more fascinating that they hold so many secrets in them. Death is sad, and painful, and a difficult trial, but it’s not the end. “Alien” is a term for a stranger, or one who is different, and so everyone is at least a little bit alien to everyone else. (If this was meant specifically about extraterrestrials -- as in, life forms on other planets or elsewhere in the universe -- then, “I believe in alien life, and I have reasons for that.”) Sex is something that I regard as sacred, and so I won’t talk about it at this moment. Intellect... is kind of a vague topic, but if you have a specific question about it, I’ll try to tell you my thoughts and opinions in response. The meaning of life is believed by many to be subjective, but my personal beliefs show a meaning that is quite objective and universal, and I’d love to tell more about it. Faraway galaxies, real and fictional, inspire me, and I want to learn more about each. Music that makes me feel differently is usually ridiculed by others. I will only tell you about lies that I have repented of and made up for, and in that context only. My flaws should be obvious enough to you; really, you should be the one telling me about them. I love the ability to smell, even though it’s sometimes unpleasant, and so in a way, all scents have favour with me. There is a long list of things that keep me up at night, ranging from noisy neighbours, to story ideas that come at inconvenient times, to trying to devise plans on how I can stop hurting people, to good old-fashioned insomnia. I’m mainly insecure about where my mortal life is going, but things that I would classify as true fears are usually replaced with faith, and so that’s harder to comment on.

There. Didn’t that make you bored?

...Ha ha, who are you talking to, [TAB III]? This is already over 500 words long. People don’t have that kind of attention span anymore. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

...OK, OK, sorry. If you are still reading, I don’t want to be disrespectful.

Still.

Having Faith to Leap


When is the last time that you offered someone the chance to have a conversation about one of those above topics? When did you just open up and say, “I’ve been thinking about life and death recently. What do you believe about them?” Or when have you asked someone what they know about quantum physics? When do you ever open up on what you know about equipment used in the tar sands, or fascinating deep-sea creatures, or teach a friend a little bit of a second language (and not just the curse words), or explain how an internal combustion engine works, or your thoughts about alternative energy, or tell your favourite part of a book you’ve read and how it makes you feel, or explain to someone what you like about your favourite TV show, or tell about someone you admire?

If my personal experience is any indicator, most of you don’t. Like... at all.

You know, it probably comes across as accusing while I say this. Fine. Today, that’s exactly what I’ll go for, if that’s what it takes. Anything to inspire change. So, here’s my suggestion. Or, better put, my exhortation. (I’ve said this before, you don’t see the word “exhort” thrown around very often anymore. But it means, “to strongly encourage or urge.”) I exhort you,

"Don't let your dreams be dreams!"

If any of you really believe that meme about having better conversations, then JUST DO IT. Don’t be afraid to let someone know about something you’re passionate about, and invite them to comment or to learn more. Or even better, ask a question on something you’re curious about. And then listen.
And maybe don’t ignore or ridicule the kinds of people who are willing to leap into deeper conversations without warning. They may be the sort who will come up to you and say, “Hi. Good to see you again. I was just wondering, what colour combination do you think best represents your personality?” I mean, said person might not even be thinking of buying you clothes or painting you a picture or weaving you a bracelet or anything. Maybe he or she just genuinely wants to talk to you about something significant.

You might have heard me say at some point that I like writing. Maybe even that I’ve had ideas and goals about writing professionally. Well, as I’ve said it at times, an automotive mechanic is called a “jack of all trades” because he or she needs to know a little bit of what all the other trades know. In that job, you have to know some things about electricity, some things about plumbing, some things about milling, metallurgy, machinery, and so on. Maybe not as much as the experts in any of those fields would know, but you’d need to know some of each. So I have said that writing requires you kind of to be a “jack of all knowledge.” Writing is about communicating ideas in the best way you can, for whatever is your intended effect. Knowledge of different things is helpful when you try to do that. And in the case of fiction especially, if you want to “world build,” you have to learn some things about all kinds of things in the real world, and a few things about other imaginary worlds. So, I find myself stuck sometimes in thinking about the bigger picture.

I really do find myself reflecting often on things like family and community histories, choices and effects of those choices, trauma and development, the human condition, economies, systems of government and organization, geology of planets, human interactions with the environment, moral systems, inventions, probabilities, divinity, creative solutions to problems -- and why some of those solutions would not work, envisioning imaginary people and how I would make them interact with one another, laws of physics, the nature of relationships and how they affect patterns of thought, behaviour of light, the difference between travelling through a fixed timeline and the multiple universe theory, lucid dreaming, things that would be lost if you travelled back in time and then avoided mistakes you made the first time, what life would be like for creatures who could only see x-rays and nothing else, how you would design spaceship controls for a species that walks on all fours... you know, things like that.

If people actually cared so much about things like they claim to in that meme, I wouldn’t get so many blank stares when I talk, or so much apathy when I write. My point is... well, it’s not, “Hey! You don’t listen to me enough, you hosers!” You go right on ahead and keep ignoring, if that’s what you want. (Believe it or not, I don’t hate you for it.) No, my point is, if you want people to talk to you about deeper and more significant things, make sure to show it. Airplane pilots are usually more inclined to land when they can see that there’s a runway below. Same idea here.

A Quick Note, inside a Note... Is Not “Note-ception.” Look Up what “Inception” Really Means, Silly People.


Now, a word about social media specifically. I get tired of saying this, but here it is yet again. I get really frustrated at how much people are willing to rely on, or even hide behind memes. Textual communication is already impersonal as it is. Now, copying and pasting the words of others, instead of posting your own, adds yet another level of impersonality to the communication. I don’t care if you think that the memes are more eloquent than you, or you think the memes will be better received because thousands of other people have already given their approval to the words and images. In the end, it doesn’t sound like you. And it doesn’t feel as meaningful that way.

Maybe you’re scared that if you speak your mind in your own words, people will think that you’re not smart or well-spoken -- or worst of all, that they’ll say that you’re wrong. Well, guess what? All relationships require you to be vulnerable at some point. Sooner or later, you have to take a leap of faith, and hope that your friends or loved ones catch you. And if you ask me, it’s better that you try it out sooner. You could try a few leaps of faith sometime by speaking your mind, in your own words, about something you think is important.

Or, you don’t have to. It’s just a thought.

Untwisting Minds


Now, remember how there’s one other part to that meme that I said I would respond to? The quote is much shorter, but I really feel the need to say something about it. “I like people with depth, who speak with emotion from a twisted mind,” it says.

NO. YOU. DON’T.

Whew. How should I work through these knots I see here? ...I’ll see if this works:

1) People with truly twisted minds seldom have very much depth to their personalities. That is what I have witnessed through experience. Twisted minds are, more often than not, the kind that are in pain, and trying to deny it or hide from it. And that’s it. It’s much less interesting and much more pitiable than you would think.

2) The emotions that come from a twisted mind are generally twisted emotions. People who are twisted are usually angry, frustrated, hurt, sad, discouraged, despondent... Really, any emotion except happy. That’s not something to like. Somehow I doubt that people love misery as much as they say they do. Misery may love company, but human beings don’t love misery.

3) Usually, “twisted” people like this get described as crazy. And no, I don’t mean “crazy” in the way that some people flood the Internet with, “Hey, look, I’m crazy! I actually mean to say that I’m uncomfortable and insecure about my idiosyncrasies, but I used the word ‘crazy,’ and ‘crazy’ is not ‘normal,’ ergo, I am exceptional, and better than normal!” (I look back, and I see that I used to do that. I’m sorry for doing it. These days it makes me cringe.) Instead, I mean “crazy” in the sense of being disturbing or incomprehensible. This kind of person is usually feared or disliked, and avoided. I don’t believe that people really enjoy being accompanied by depravity as much as this meme would have me believe.

4) You want to know who I find really interesting to talk to? Someone who is genuinely at peace. (It would be a long aside to explain my thoughts on this peace, and how it differs from simply being calm. So I’ll save that for another time.) People filled with peace don’t feel the need to lash out at others or make anyone feel worse about themselves. People at peace don’t feel the need to make themselves seem more important, either. They are the sort who are more concerned with improving themselves and others, and the world around them. They are usually the ones who have asked themselves the existential, cosmic questions about the purpose of life and their place in the universe, and had the courage not only to face the possibility of there being no answer... but have also had the courage to believe that maybe there is. And they’re prepared to face up to the consequences either way. Minds like that are not twisted. But they are interesting, and deep, and their emotions more sincere.

You’ll have to believe me on this (unless you want to try testing it out for yourself), you will find a lot more enjoyment, and joy itself, from being around people like that. Maybe give that a try. Or become a truly peaceful person yourself. That would also work.

Moral of the Story


You know, you could probably think of a few yourself, if I just left off here and didn’t say anything more. And if you’ve come to any conclusions that lead you to action, or that change the way you think, then, great!

But I will still tell you what I wanted to say through all of this. It’s quite simple:



BE OPEN.

A closed mind cannot receive anything, and so it can’t learn, improve, or grow. So keep your mind open.

A closed heart cannot receive or send anything, and so it can’t empathize, hurt and then heal, or become stronger, deepen, increase, trust, or love unconditionally. So keep your heart open.

Don’t do those things because an Internet meme told you to, or claims that you do those things already. And don’t do those things because I said you should. No, if you’re going to keep your mind and heart open, capable of sending and receiving important things, do so because that’s what you sincerely want.

Today, it’s nearly that time of year when people make New Year’s resolutions, where they commit to changing their habits and setting new goals so they can be better and get more out of life. (They even keep a few of those resolutions, sometimes.) If you’re looking for any suggestions, I offer that one. Be open, and meaningfully so. Be willing to send and to receive messages of real importance, even if it does have to be sandwiched between telling about simple day-to-day events, and sharing pictures of kittens and puppies (which I have to admit, are sometimes adorable). If you really want to discuss and learn more about the meaning of life, then do it.

If you search long and sincerely enough, I think you’ll like what you find.

Meanwhile, I’ll be writing, and pretending that people read this stuff. Heh heh.

OK, have a wonderful upcoming year. Nos vemos.

- TAB III

Originally a post I wrote on Facebook, December 30th, 2016. Don't worry; hardly anybody cared about it over there, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment