Translate

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Facebook Note: Freehand - Lefty's Farewell


Written in June 2007, published to Facebook on March 26th, 2008.

Author's Note: This was an assignment for my high school English class. I did actually enjoy writing this, which, as I've said elsewhere, makes this the only poem that I was assigned to write but still enjoyed.
I think that if I were to write this poem again today, I would make it sound better. But I'll leave it as is. I hope you enjoy it.

What doth ascend to this heart's mind, in this, the final of hours?
Who shall ascend to glory to find, or whom the one that cowers?
O ye craven watchmen,
Canst ye walk upon the paths I tread?
For I'd like to know you'd courage grasp, ably to walk amongst the dead.
Whilst this last road, which I last take, will I take it now alone?
Haven't ye light within thy souls, or e'en faith in flesh and bone?
'Tis true I know not where I fly...
Nay, that would be false.
For I am sure of my ending nigh,
But unsurely grope my journey's halts.



To stand and glare upon my advers'd face
Letting consequence follow acts for good; 'twould my great yearning fill.
E'en if solitary is how I stood; I'd never had betrayed self's will.
The higher road, yon skyward road...
Peradventure it a lonely path
Ne'er will I flee to see forebode;
My heartward treasure's all I hath

I'll soon avaunt, shant ye, my friends, to merge my heading - home?
Idiosyncratic's a painful end - I wish ye here, not I alone.
Desireth to know why I follow not, upon thy path, instead?
Thy way, it goes first laterally; when does it lurch ahead?
Adieu, my brethren. For I go now. I see the way is hard.
Good-bye, o sisters; I salute, and bow, I leave with one accord.
I shall leave markers to my way, in light of case thou changest mind.
By blood-writ trail track by day, and in the moonlight try and find
Both boy and man who bravely strode upon two feet, eternally.
Yet if ye stray not from thy road, this shall be the last of me.
I quote now Brother Saul and Paul, with a few words I give in force.
Remember: that "I have fought a good fight," for, "I have finished my course.
I have kept the faith."
Farewell, and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment