Translate

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Facebook Note: Placentero nos es trabajar - but in English!


Written and published to Facebook on November 12th, 2010

Author's Note: I feel that I have to say this a lot - what you came for is probably the poem (or, in this case, song). To find it, scroll down towards the bottom of the post. Or just read your way there. Either way is fine with me.



You know what's disheartening? I mean, besides heart surgeons. And besides land mines, and leprosy in Third World countries, and famines, and natural disasters, and death of family, and destruction of the rain forests, and hatred, and war, and worldwide depression, and mistrust, and lack of faith, and pollution in the air and water, and crime, and mobs, and secret combinations, and the end of the world...

Excuse me, I think I'm going to go and cry for a while...

Well, not quite as disheartening as that was thinking of the losses that I've been afforded, in the other Note that is currently sitting in my Drafts folder. I was thinking of the things that I've lost in the past two years alone, wondering if there was anything that I could do to get them back. That's a terrible attitude to have! One of those immortal, but nonetheless anonymous quotes says, "Worry looks around. Sorry looks back. Faith looks up." Actually, I came across that around the same time that I was losing a lot of those things that I mentioned in my other Note, which for now is called "Lost. Reward. (Perdido. Hay galardón.)" You know something, though? That's the most backwards way of looking at it. Why wasn't I looking at all that I've gained? Why wasn't I looking at the things that I've been blessed with?

I told a few of you, out there, (Hmm, should I tag you and compel you to read this? ...Yep. Heh heh heh heh.), that my favourite hymn is one that I discovered, with help (tag, Hermana [somebody]!). It's found only in the Spanish hymnbook. #88, Placentero nos es trabajar. The first time I sang it alone was only minutes after my MTC district departed for the airport, and left me completely alone at 5:00 in the morning, the most alone I would be for the following years. In the times afterward, there was a two-fold purpose to it. On the one hand, it was my answer to the losses I gained, as it speaks of an end. On the other hand, it came to be my rallying cry to see the joy that I was picking up without any conscious effort. It became the symbol of my life, such as it were. It earned its way to my favourite.

November 10th is the day before Remembrance Day, in Canada. I think it works similarly in some parts of the USA, but here it is a day to pay respects to the soldiers who have fought for their country. Living or fallen, we honour them. While I was driving, that night, I found myself reflecting on the sacrifice of those who had chosen "to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them." (Why am I quoting Hamlet?) It brought me to remember that song, which speaks of another kind of sacrifice, in another kind of war. And for the second time in my life, a song practically composed itself in my head. The lyrics came to me in English. ...I think I've just translated my first song!
The effect is stronger if you hear the original for yourself, first, so I'll try to get the right link, here...
http://lds.org/cm/display/0,17631,6522-1,00.html

That's the closest I can find, right now. If you want to hear it, go down to #88 on the list. "Musica con letra" is the one to click on if you want to hear the words.

Now, here is what came to me, as the English version of... how would you title that in English? Literally it's "Pleasant to us it is to work."
...Yes, it is.

O, what joy it is for us to serve
In the vineyard of Jesus, our King
And an honour, His people to teach
And His justice and light to them bring
By His light, by His light
O, what joy it is for us to serve!
By His light, by His light
Though we die, we will praise Him and sing!
 
To the word of our God, give your ear
And your loyalty and fervour of
Thy remembrance ye keep ever near
Of His purity, truth, and His love
With such love, with such love
Thy remembrance ye keep ever near
With such love, with such love
The great banner of God, ever rear

O my brethren, good-bye and farewell!
Though we part, under greatest of pain
If our faith we keep in our great God
With our Saviour we will meet again
Once again, once again
O my brethren, good-bye and farewell!
Once again, once again
With our God, with love we will remain.

Now, no plagiarizing this! Maybe I'll send this to whomever is in charge of music, in the Church, if anybody knows how that works. Hey, Elder [something]! I mean, [that person's first name] - how do I do that? As I've found, when I'm inspired by something, that's not normally something to be kept to myself; there's other people that can benefit from it, again.

Keep an eye on those hymnbooks, eh? Not that this will make it in there, anytime soon, but still... you should be doing that, anyway! Or not... but still, it's a good idea, if you're looking for hope.

Now, as the adjacent hymn in the Spanish book says, Para siempre Dios esté con Vos. Or, as we say it in English, God Be with You, 'til We Meet Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment